Friday, January 23, 2009

Nani reveals frustration over peripheral role at Manchester United


Nani has revealed his disappointment at the bit-part role he has played for Manchester United this season.

The Portuguese winger has started just three times in the Premier League this season and has only been involved in 22 of United's 37 games as Alex Ferguson's team bid to defend the title and Champions League.

The 22-year-old played a much more significant role in last year's successes and was expected to play an even greater part this season, but the majority of his appearances have come in the various cup competitions United have been involved in this season.

But the £17m signing from Sporting Lisbon is determined to play a more central role in the second half of the campaign.

In an interview with the Manchester Evening News, he said: 'I would like to play more times but it hasn't been the same as last season. I was pleased with my games last season and my contribution to the team.

'This season I hoped it would be better. When I get my chances my aim is to do better than I did at the start of the season.

He added: 'I am still confident. It is difficult when you play one game and then are out for two matches. You want to stay in for a run of matches.

'You really need three, four or five games for your confidence to build and your fitness to be right. You can do anything when your confidence is high.'

source

No comments: