Monday, February 2, 2009

Faubert promises to bring speed to Real Madrid



MADRID (AFP) – French midfielder Julien Faubert said Monday he will contribute speed to Real Madrid as he was officially presented as the spanish club's new player after he completed his six-month loan from West Ham.

"I think I can bring something extra to the team, my speed, my versatility, if I did not believe it I would not be here," the 25-year-old, who scored on his only appearance for France, told a news conference.

Faubert, who saw a move to AS Rome fall apart in 2007 when he played for Bordeaux, added the move was a giant leap forward as he received his new number 18 jersey from Real legend Alfredo di Stefano at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

"At Bordeaux I was supposed to sign for Rome but it didn't happen. It is a good comeback for me to be at Real Madrid. I am very happy to be here and it is an honour to receive the jersey from Stefano," he said.

Faubert, who is under contract with West Ham through 2012, will stay at Real until June. The defending Spanish champions will then have the option to sign him for a further three years.

He played for Cannes and then Bordeaux before heading to East London in 2007 - but an Achilles tendon rupture kept him sidelined shortly afterwards and he has not featured this season.

No comments: